BEAR

Location:- as yet not identified

Brewery or Owner:-unknown


The 15th century map in Peter May's book "Newmarket, Medieval and Tudor", places it on the High Street, a short way west of Church Lane, very likely on the site of what is now the Memorial Hall. Peter May, in his "Newmarket 500 years ago" records in 1472: "Thomas Depden paid 6s 1d rent for the Bear". An entry in licensing records for 1823 showing the "Bear" and apparently not the Black Bear, is strange as the property there in 1787 appears to have been the Duke of Bolton's house



KNOWN LICENSING HISTORY
Year Licensee Owner source
C15 unknown unknown Peter May "Newmarket Medieval and Tudor"
1823 Joseph Mills unknown licensing records


BACK to SEARCH page